Friday, February 26, 2010

Snow days
























A snowstorm at the end of February is not quite as exciting as it is in December. It is a winter wonderland outside. It looks beautiful, but the idea of snow covered sidewalks for the next few weeks does not entice me. So here we are with another snow day and this one is the biggest one so far. Owen refuses to go outside. I think he is afraid he may get lost in it. I don't blame him since there is probably a foot and a half of snow. What to do? I am one of the best at making forts out of blankets and couch cushions. It has to be big enough to fit 4 since I know there will be some fighting over space. A good fort always brings out excitement in our house. Unfortunately, the excitement wares off soon and 4 kids look at me with those eyes which say "what next mommy?"
Ryley came up with a great idea to make flowers with hopes that spring will be here soon. It started as an organized arts and crafts project which ended up with a bottle of glue being dumped over. We still had fun. Being stuck inside though always brings on some battles. Somehow a fun dance party turns into someone getting bumped to the ground which then turns into a "he did it, she did it" which then brings on some tears in the end. I try my hardest to be patient. It's not easy all the time, but then I see the four of them snuggled on the couch reading a book and realize once again how much they love each other, and how much I love them. I have to tell myself that I am doing a good job. Siblings will fight. It's normal. Each squabble eventually ends with loving hugs.

Another part of my snow day entailed Owen following me around the house saying "mommy, mommy, mommy". I don't need a snow day for that though. That is my day every day. Some day that will end, and I will miss it. You just have to take a deep breath sometimes and smile and take it all in. Enjoy it.

Well, it's Friday, and Joe is coming home. Yeah! Family time!




























No comments:

Post a Comment